Short Term and Group Programme
An international work camp is a group of ten to fifteen volunteers from different backgrounds, Nationalities ,cultures, abilities live and work together on a project which is to meet a community need through voluntary services in the frame work of projects proposed by local communities though (GVDA) projects.
The program offers every student the experience of being immersed into a new culture and opportunity to broaden their personal and professional horizons through GVDA projects. Participants will work in GVDA projects in Kenya and will gain first hand experience of life in a developing country.
As an international volunteer, they work side-by-side with the local volunteers and community and make a positive contribution, gain new perspectives in Kenya culture, and gain a hand-on experience, building homes, for families, working with local women, groups, community health, volunteering on developing programs and teaching and mentoring children in local schools, construction, renovation and manual work. Leisure time activities with children, Path cleaning reforestation and agriculture, Environmental education project, education development theatre groups, HIV/AIDs outreach program, millennium volunteers programme, vocational skill training centres and street children.
- • Meaningful community service work variety of fields.
- • Enriching cultural activities such as local hand crafts.
- • Making cooking lessons, traditional dance lessons languages lessons Kiswahili and such more.
- • Historical cultural and recreational excursions.
- • Natural and cultural heritage sites.
- • A committed host family network and range lodging options.
- • Delicious local meals.
- • Welcome and farewell.
- • GVDA certificate upon successful completion of the project.
- • Lasting memories and new friends.
- • Be between 18 and above
- • Display genuine interest in local language and Kenyan culture.
- • Be willing to adapt to the life of the Kenya community host family.
- • Agree to accept the host community /family assigned to them by GVDA.
- • Sign and abide by the GVDA conditions of participation on the application form.
- Orientation: On the first day of arrival.
- Evaluation: Mid evaluation and final evaluation.
- Supervision: Volunteers are supervised by our local co-ordinator.
- Work Style / approach
- • emphasis on friendship, understanding and cultural exchange among local volunteers and foreign volunteers.
- • Own initiative and creativity are important: define best teaching approach depending on work environment.
Volunteer: necessary attitude & important skills
- • Enthusiastic, open-minded, active, own initiative, creativity, flexible.
- • respectful of Kenyan culture(s) and religions
- • good English language skills Accommodation
- • Usually family home stay or room at school / orphanage.
- • A lot of opportunities for interaction with local people, learning Kenyan culture and language.
Start Month of the project: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December.
Placement Duration: 3 weeks
Age limit: 18 year minimum and 40 maximum
When to apply: Any time
In some cases we do not require any skills.
We require all volunteers / participants have international travel medical insurance. We require all participants provide proof of international medical insurance prior to departure.
Equipment / Clothing
Some specific equipment required depending on role and clothing working cloths, gloves, sun glasses and sleeping bag etc.